Timon and Zazu.... where are you?

Am in Kenya. Literally in the middle of the Lion King movie. I swear, I was expecting the lions we drove RIGHT up to every day to have the voice of James Earl Jones. I cannot even come close to describing how amazing the last 2 days have been. We spent them in the Masi Mara reserve, just driving around looking for wildlife. We saw so much! I had to stop myself to realize that what I was seeing was real. In 2 days, we saw: Gazelles, zebra (about 2000!), ostrich, Lion (so many! multiple prides), elephant, giraffe, buffalo, maribou stork (a scavenger.. it eats babies!), vulture, waterbuck, impala, warthog (like Pumba!), baboon, eland, antelope, hyena, cheetah, wildabeast, heartabeast (I think tour guide made that up), black rhino (very rare), hippo, and a massive crocodile! We have seen 4 out of 5 of the "Big 5" African game, as well as all cast members of the Lion King except Timon (meerkat) and Zazu (some strange bird that is pretty rare). We've seen babies, mating, Masi warriors, lions suffocating a kill, and cheetahs walking past our truck. I can die happy. I could literally write for hours about just watching the cheetahs and lions. I swear I would have pet them if they let me get out of the car. It would have been worth losing a hand. I have some ridiculously good photos, but the internet is expensive and the guy from the internet cafe in Egypt messed up my camera somehow so that the photos cannot be uploaded... will have to sort that out! (as well as the ATM card I left in Cairo. Whoops.) Wish I could show you all what we saw, but the photos don't even come close. (but you know I'll post anyway). Our group is FINALLY mostly young people... including a crew of Contiki tour guides on vacay... should be interesting! We are now officially camping in tents for the next 43 days... every morning we have to take them down, set up meals, boil water.... I wouldn't have it any other way... living in the bush, just like the animals :) I am going to look ROUGH when I get home! hehe. Hope to post photos soon (of the animals, not me).... Off to the Serengeti and Tanzania tomorrow for more game drives! Gotta see a leopard to complete the Big 5! Everyone, think "leopard thoughts" for us when you go to bed tonight! Update: I've posted some photos!!

Comments

  1. Those cute little kitties sense you two as a meal ... and a hangover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dreaming of spots and more spots !

    I'll treat you both to a hot air ballon ride over the Serengeti. I hear it is awesome!

    STAY inside that JEEP and bring no kids or animals home!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Water water everywhere!

Alex the Great-ish.